Out of This World Feedback
We all know that we need to revise our work to make it Out of This World. Critiques from experts in the publishing industry can be extremely valuable for the revision process.
During the Out of This World conference, participants can take advantage of the opportunity to have face to face critiques with an author, agent, art director or editor. Please familiarize yourself with the preferences of our Out of This World Conference faculty below. Each faculty member will only critique specific types of work. Manuscripts that don't match a faculty member's preferences may not be submitted and no refunds will be given. Critiques should be chosen during the registration process. Each critique lasts 12 minutes and space is limited, and all critiques will take place during conference hours on Saturday.
First, imagine you are submitting to the editor of your dreams. You only have one chance to do it right. Once you mail your submission to us, we will not accept ANY changes.
● Please send two copies of your manuscript (up to 10 double-spaced pages from one manuscript) to SCBWI North Texas, P.O. Box 1875, Addison, TX 75001. Use standard manuscript format as outlined in “From Keyboard to Printed Page: Facts You Need to Know” (https://www.scbwi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/From-Keyboard_2014.pdf ).
● At the top of your manuscript, include your name, phone number, title, genre (i.e. picture book, middle grade, etc.) and word count.
● You may also include an optional one-page cover letter or synopsis.
● Include a printed copy of your conference registration confirmation.
● Please do not mail via a service requiring a signature for delivery.
Registration and payment guidelines:
● The non-refundable critique fee is $45 for National SCBWI members; $60 for nonmembers.
● You can choose the faculty member for your critique when you register. If their name does not appear, their critique spots are full.
● Manuscripts must arrive no later than August 23 to be eligible for a critique. Manuscripts arriving after August 23 or those that do not follow the guidelines will be returned. Sorry, no exceptions.
● All critiques will take place during the conference on Satursday.
● All critique fees are not refundable.
Illustrators, please register for the critique with your conference registration no later than August 23 to reserve your critique spot. Do not send your work in advance. Instead, bring your portfolio with up to 10 images to the conference.
Faculty Critique Preferences
(full) Jordan Brown prefers middle grade and teen (middle grade and young adult) but is open to other formats.
(full) Sarah Davies will critique chapter books, middle grade and young adult fiction.
(full) Sylvie Frank prefers picture books and middle grade but is open to anything. She prefers to have a summary of novels submitted with the manuscript.
(full) Ellen Hopkins will critique all genres and age groups,
Maria Middleton will only critique illustrator portfolios (do not submit in advance; advance registration still required).
(full) Aaron Reynolds will critique picture books and graphic novels.